Our Aims

Our Club's aims are to:

Learn collaboratively about the history, heritage and archaeology of Norwich and Norfolk

Develop resources and activities that contribute to the wider community’s understanding of history and archaeology

Develop activities that enhance/maintain the wellbeing and emotional resilience of club members

Be actively inclusive – open, accessible and welcoming to all


Wednesday 6 March 2013

Visiting the Norwich Bridewell Museum


Thirty members of the Norwich Community History Club visited the Norwich Bridewell Museum on Tuesday. We were made to feel very welcome and our thanks go to the staff for making this visit possible. Given the size of the group we decided that it was best to leave people to explore the museum for themselves. I made myself available in the 'House of Correction' display area to talk to people who had missed my talk the previous week about this aspect of the site's history.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any proper feedback from the members on the day, but one thing I did pick up was the surprise a number of people felt at just how large the museum is. The phrase, "tardis like" was used more than once. As you can see from the photograph above, a number of the group were attracted to gather around the maps and a long discussion ensued between them about the changing topography of the city. I have to say, I learned something new from this myself. I had no idea that Norwich once had two dog tracks (a shame they've gone - I'd have enjoyed an evening at the dogs!).

Next week we'll be gathering at the usual time and place in Marzanos Cafe, before walking to St Andrews Hall/Blackfriars with the wonderful Roxanne Matthews, who will lead an exploration of this fabulous site. I wish I could be there for this one myself, but I'm booked up to talk to another group that morning. I look forward to hearing all about it from the other members.

Colin

Please note: the club is now so popular that we are now at full capacity. However, if you are interested in becoming a member of the Norwich Community History Club, please contact me (Colin on colin.howey@norfolk.gov.uk) and I will add you to the waiting list. 

And finally...

Time travellers from the Eighteenth century!

No comments:

Post a Comment