Our Aims

Our Club's aims are to:

Learn collaboratively about the history, heritage and archaeology of Norwich and Norfolk

Develop resources and activities that contribute to the wider community’s understanding of history and archaeology

Develop activities that enhance/maintain the wellbeing and emotional resilience of club members

Be actively inclusive – open, accessible and welcoming to all


Tuesday 31 March 2020

'Index Monasticus' (1821) by Richard Taylor

Here is a short post about a most marvellous book I have just acquired: 


'Index Monasticus'
Title page

Richard Cowling Taylor (18 January 1789 – 26 October 1851) was an English surveyor, geologist and antiquarian. Taylor was born in Hunton, Suffolk, and educated nearby at Halesworth. Following his training as a land surveyor and geologist he moved to Norwich in 1813, where he lived and practiced as a land surveyor until 1826, when he moved to London. It was during this period that his antiquarian curiosity became ignited by the numerous monastic buildings and ruins in Norfolk and Suffolk. In 1821, having raised funds for publication by subscription, he published ‘Index Monasticus’, which was a survey of the religious foundations across the medieval diocese of Norwich. I have wanted a copy of this since 2002 when, during an archaeological study weekend, Dr Tim Pestell mentioned it to me. During the next eighteen years, I never set my eyes on a single copy. However, due to the incredible generosity of a friend I have known for most of my life, I now have my own copy. I’m certain that this will be a working book; one that I will dust down whenever I’m due to give a talk or tour relating to pre-Reformation Norwich and Norfolk. 

Bookplate
Finally, I note that the book plate on the inside cover is one ‘William Taylor’ and note, also, that he is listed as a subscriber (ie a sponsor of the work). It could well be one of his two brothers. Anyway, here are a few photographs of this large work:
 
Religious houses of medieval Norfolk

Map of Suffolk (part of the medieval diocese of Norwich)

Prospect of Norwich (inspired by Cunningham's prospect of 1558 by the look of it)
Map of Norwich's religious houses

Hand tinted arms of the religious orders

 Colin Howey, March 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment