Our Aims

Our Club's aims are to:

• Learn collaboratively about the history, heritage and archaeology of Norwich and Norfolk

• Develop resources and activities that contribute to the wider community’s understanding of history and archaeology

• Develop activities that enhance/maintain the wellbeing and emotional resilience of club members

• Be actively inclusive – open, accessible and welcoming to all


Sunday, 12 July 2026

Travelling From Norwich to Watton in 1845

I came across this advert the other day which describes travelling from Watton to Norwich in two hours.  I find the advert quite confusing although it would appear that you travelled to Attleborough station from Watton by omnibus which was a horse drawn carriage and then presumably by train to Norwich and then by omnibus or “flies”  (a fast lightweight carriage) into the city.  The return journey is less clear but I it looks like you were transported to Trowse station by omnibus and then presumably back to Attleborough by train and then omnibus to Watton.  I did wonder whether Watton ever got a railway and it appears it did in 1869.  




No comments:

Post a Comment